Libya jails 12 over dam management during deadly Derna floods

Africa
By AFP | Jul 29, 2024

Men walk past debris of buildings that were brought down by flash floods in Derna, eastern Libya, Sept 12, 2023. [AFP]

Twelve people were convicted on Sunday in Libya's eastern city of Derna over their role in "managing dam facilities" during last year's deadly floods, the general prosecutor's office said in a statement.

The defendants, who included government employees and local officials, received prison sentences ranging from nine to 27 years, said the statement published on Facebook.

They were jailed over their management of "the country's dam facilities" at a time when the collapse of two dams near the port city of Derna contributed to catastrophic flooding.

On September 10 last year, Storm Daniel hit the east coast of Libya triggering flooding and the dam collapses that razed entire neighbourhoods.

The vast surge of water killed more than 4,300 people and left over 8,000 missing, according to the United Nations.

Nearly 44,800 people were displaced by the disaster, including 16,000 children, and their access to care and education has severely deteriorated since, said the UN.

Around 250,000 people still required humanitarian aid in December.

A report by the European Union, the UN and the World Bank found last January that the "disaster impacted approximately 1.5 million people -- 22 per cent of Libya's population -- living in the coastal and inland cities that were hardest hit".

The report estimated that $1.8 billion would be required for reconstruction.

UN humanitarian agency OCHA has confirmed 4,352 deaths and more than 8,000 missing persons, "making Storm Daniel the deadliest storm in Africa since 1900", said the report.

In addition to the reconstruction needs, the report estimated the material damage and economic losses, including of businesses and farms, at $1.65 billion, or 3.6 per cent of Libya's GDP in 2022.

Libya has been battered by armed conflict and political chaos since a NATO-backed uprising led to the toppling of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.

The North African country is now divided between an internationally recognised Tripoli-based government led by interim Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah in the west and an administration in the east backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar.

Share this story
It's another moment for man and machine to battle in Safari Classic Rally
12 Kenyans to participate in the upcoming nine-day East African event. Competition which revs off on Friday has attracted 60 drivers from 75 nations.
Champs Police, Homeboyz aim for top spot as Gor not in action
Gor, Ingwe will not be in action as Mashemeji Derby moved to December 7. Police and Homeboyz are two points behind leaders Gor Mahia.
KCB in race to maintain early momentum in Kenya Cup
Defending champions Kabras have a date with newbies Daystar Falcons. Strathmore Leos coach Ojal targets playoff finish with young squad.
Gladiators face USIU-A in fight to avoid the chop
Former Kenya Hockey Union (KHU) Men’s Premier League champions Strathmore University Gladiators will intensify their fight against relegation.
Kenyan boxers set for Africa Youth Games showdown in Angola
As one team heads to Dubai for Elite World Men Boxing Championships, another flies out to Angola for the fourth edition of Africa Youth Games.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS