UN 'disappointed' at South Sudan election delay

Africa
By AFP | Sep 19, 2024

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir at Juba's Presidential Palace, South Sudan. [VOA]

The United Nations expressed its "regret and disappointment" on Wednesday over South Sudan's decision to delay its first-ever elections for another two years.

The world's newest nation won independence from Sudan in 2011 but was plunged into a civil war two years later that killed some 400,000 people.

A peace deal in 2018 brought together President Salva Kiir and his bitter rival, Vice President Riek Machar, but their feuding has repeatedly delayed efforts to write a constitution and hold elections.

Last week, Kiir's office announced that voting planned for December would be pushed back by another two years.

International supporters have grown increasingly exasperated at the delays.

"Two years ago, we were in a similar situation as we are today and gave our support specifically under the condition that there would be no more extensions," said UN special representative Nicholas Haysom in a statement.

"Today, it is sadly evident that the country is not ready for elections that we could confidently expect to generate a credible and peaceful outcome."

Haysom said South Sudan's leaders had only achieved one of 10 priority areas laid out by international bodies last year to prepare for the vote.

"Urgency rather than a pause is required," he said.

"The South Sudanese political class must take responsibility for the failures of the past two years," Haysom added.

Embassies of eight Western nations, including the US, Britain and the European Union, also voiced disappointment at the delay and called for the vote to be held "as soon as possible".

"A 24-month extension would mean 24 months more expenditure on the institutions that implement the peace process," they said in a joint statement.

South Sudan has battled flooding, hunger and violence, while its leaders have appeared reluctant to risk going to the polls and are accused of massive corruption.

Earlier this month the UN's humanitarian agency warned more than 700,000 people had been impacted by flooding, with aid failing to meet many in need.

South Sudan boasts plentiful oil resources, but the vital source of revenue was decimated in February when an export pipeline was damaged in war-torn Sudan.

Share this story
33 stadiums to be complete within nine months PS Mwangi says
The Government has given a nine-month deadline for the completion of ongoing stadium construction and renovation projects across the country.
Standard Group launches live radio English Premier League commentary
Football fans have a new reason to tune in as The Standard Group PLC officially launched its live radio commentary of the English Premier League.
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
Enzo Maresca urged Man City to learn from their chastening Community Shield defeat v Arsenal after the Italian made a dismal start to the daunting task of replacing Pep Guardiola.
Cameroon beat fairytale finalists Malawi to win WAFCON
Cameroon, who failed to qualify for the 2026 Women's Africa Cup of Nations only to get a second chance, beat fairytale finalists Malawi 3-0 on Sunday to be crowned champions.
Kenyan girls and boys chase second volleyball wins
Former East Africa girls’ volleyball champions Kesogon Mixed Senior School will return to action today as the 2026 regional games enter day four here in Morogoro, Tanzania.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS