OpenAI blocks Iranian group from ChatGPT, says it targeted US election

America
By VOA | Aug 19, 2024

OpenAI said on Friday it had taken down accounts of an Iranian group for using its ChatGPT chatbot to generate content meant for influencing the U.S. presidential election and other issues.

The operation, identified as Storm-2035, used ChatGPT to generate content focused on topics such as commentary on the candidates on both sides in the U.S. elections, the conflict in Gaza and Israel's presence at the Olympic Games and then shared it via social media accounts and websites.

An investigation by the Microsoft-backed AI company showed that ChatGPT was used for generating long-form articles and shorter social media comments.

OpenAI said the operation did not appear to have achieved meaningful audience engagement.

Most of the identified social media posts received few or no likes, shares or comments, and the company did not see indications of web articles being shared across social media.

The accounts have been banned from using OpenAI's services, and the company continues to monitor activities for any further attempts to violate policies, it said.

Earlier in August, a Microsoft threat-intelligence report said Iranian Network Storm-2035, comprising four websites masquerading as news outlets, is actively engaging U.S. voter groups on opposing ends of the political spectrum.

The engagement was being built with "polarizing messaging on issues such as the U.S. presidential candidates, LGBTQ rights, and the Israel-Hamas conflict," the report stated.

Democratic nominee Kamala Harris and Republican rival Donald Trump are locked in a tight race, ahead of the November 5 presidential election.

The AI firm said in May it had disrupted five covert influence operations that sought to use its models for "deceptive activity" across the internet.

Share this story
KCB and Kabras lead Driftwood charge as Quins, Leos bow out
KCB Rugby, Kabras Sugar, Menengai Oilers and Daystar Falcons have booked their places in the Driftwood Sevens quarter-finals after making strong starts to the third leg of the National Sevens Circuit.
Musingu crowned East Africa handball champions
Musingu Boys Senior School are the new kings of the Federation of East Africa Schools Association (FEASSA) handball.
Beyond the finish line: From survival to strength
Other women in sports have and continue to face physical sexual and emotional abuse, as well as financial control.
Wanyonyi triumphs in Lausanne as stars eye glory in Silesia
Measured steps and a tactical homestretch push decided the winner of the men’s 800m showdown at the Lausanne Diamond League in Switzerland on Friday night.
Kesogon reclaim East Africa volleyball gong as ACK Chepsaita settle for silver
Kesogon Mixed Senior School bagged their second regional girls' gong after an emphatic win against compatriots St Martha’s Mwitoti in a final match played at the Morogoro Teachers Training College
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS