South Sudan cargo pile up in Mombasa as agents reject levy

Business
By Willis Oketch | Mar 24, 2024
Importers and freight forwarders protest near Kenya Ports Authority's gate in Mombasa County on October 7, 2022. [File, Standard]

Cargo heading to South Sudan is piling up at the Port of Mombasa due to a dispute over a new mandatory tax.

This is after Kenya customs agents rejected the electronic cargo tracking note (ECTN) introduced by the South Sudan Revenue Authority Commission last week.

On Saturday, Kenya International Freight and Warehouse Association (KIFWA) said the new levy has led to the delay in the clearing of cargo destined for South Sudan and could lead to congestion at the Port of Mombasa.

KIFWA chairman Roy Mwanthi said since its introduction, more than 1,000 containers destined for South Sudan are lying at the port.

Mwanthi said the local customs agents were being forced to collect the prerequisite service charges of Sh46,375 ($350) on behalf of the South Sudan Revenue Authority. He insisted that his members had declined to implement the order because it was against Kenyan laws.

The clearing and forwarding agents were reacting to South Sudan Commissioner for Custom Division Brigader General Aduot Ajang Aduot's notice dated March 1 this year to clearing agencies.

The notice says; "I am honored to introduce to you an initiative by the government of South Sudan to roll out to a mandatory Electronic Cargo Tracking Note (ECTN) for all imports to South Sudan and exports from South Sudan.

"Following the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the Government of South Sudan through the Ministry of Finance and Planning and Invesco Uganda Limited, an Electronic Cargo Tracking Note will be mandatory for all goods destined to South Sudan and all goods leaving South Sudan with immediate effect," said part of the notice.

All clearing agencies have been instructed to enforce these regulations through partner Invesco Uganda company to ensure that goods comply with the new regulation.

"Therefore, all importers and exporters must comply and in addition, pay the mandatory service charge of 350 us dollars accordingly," states part of the notice.

Share this story
Indian envoy tours Coast SEZs amid increased investment
The Indian High Commissioner to Kenya Adarsh Swaika toured the Coastal Special Economic Zones corridor to inspect the multi-billion emerging industrial opportunities.
Kenyans will get raw deal from Safaricom shares sale, Nyoro says
Even with the conclusion of public hearings on the sale of Safaricom shares, Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro insists that the sale must be halted immediately and advertised internationally.
From SGR operations to dollar deals: Inside Kenya Railways audit queries
The dealings between Kenya Railways and Afristar, which operates the SGR, are again under scrutiny as an internal audit points to breaches in the public finance management laws.
NSE: State's new platform to raise billions
A few years ago, when the Kenyan market was struggling to access dollars as inflation surged, the interest rate regime was the preferred capital mop-up tool for the government.
Government projects Sh370b in revenue from Lokichar oil fields
The government is expected to earn between Sh136 billion and Sh371 billion once the South Lokichar oil project begins full development and production of oil in Turkana County.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS