Fresh blow to Del Monte as more UK stores boycott products

Business
By Brian Ngugi | Jun 30, 2024
A truck collecting pineapples from Del Monte's farm in Thika. [File, Standard]

Del Monte Kenya has suffered a fresh blow after two British supermarkets announced they have stopped sourcing for tinned pineapples from its plantation in Thika due to ongoing human rights abuse accusations.

This is in relation to killings allegedly committed by security guards at the expansive farm targeting those stealing pineapples, which were documented last year by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism (TBIJ) and British newspaper The Guardian.

The European retailers, Morrisons and Iceland, join four other major supermarkets - Tesco, Asda, Sainbury's and Waitrose - in stopping selling pineapple products from Del Monte.

According to the expose by TBIJ and The Guardian, the violence has allegedly continued on the farm over the last year with four men found dead at a river near the farm in December.

In another incident, bystanders were allegedly struck by stray bullets during conflicts between police and local youth, according to recent findings by the TBIJ.

Morrison's action followed criticism for continuing to stock featuring products from the farm.

"We are moving tinned pineapple sourcing out of Kenya until Del Monte's human rights improvement plan has been fully implemented," Morrison's, the fifth largest supermarket chain in the United Kingdom, was quoted by The Mirror as saying on Friday.

A spokesperson for Iceland, which has over 900 stores across the UK, said: "We can confirm that Iceland does not stock products from the farms in question."

Aine Clarke, of the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, a non-profit committed to advancing human rights in business, said: "It is crucial for companies to demonstrate that they have engaged in a dialogue with any stakeholders reportedly affected by allegations of abuse."

In March, De Monte announced the sacking of 214 guards at the farm and replaced them with others from G4S Kenya.

Share this story
Win for Ruto as High Court okays privatisation of Kenya Pipeline Company
The High Court has cleared the way for the government to proceed with the privatisation of Kenya Pipeline Company, dismissing petitions that sought to block the sale of the state corporation.
Privatisation Act 2025 is constitutional, High Court rules
Judge says petitioners failed to discharge the burden of proving a constitutional violation, and thus, the Privatisation Act 2025 is hereby declared constitutional and valid in its entirety.
Inside Nanyuki's rise as Mt Kenya's property magnet
While the development is primarily a financial sector decision, property analysts observe that institutional expansions of this nature often mirror maturing real estate markets.
Towers: The new kings of Nairobi's skyline
Nairobi’s skyline is set to change drastically in the coming years after more companies and State parastatals announced the development of skyscrapers
Why Sacco members are shunning guarantors for property as collateral
The urgency with which the loans are applied discourages borrowers from depending on guarantors, as they may fail to come through at short notice.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS