Matatu owners, motorists' association differ on planned strike

Business
By Sharon Wanga | Jul 26, 2024
Matatu Owners Association chairman Albert Karakacha (center) addressing the media in Nairobi on 4th July 2024.(Collins Oduor, Standard)

Confusion has hit the transport sector, after the Matatu Owners Association (MOA) distanced itself from the planned strike by the Motorists Association of Kenya(MAK).

MOA on Friday said they are in discussions with the government to identify solutions within three weeks on various issues affecting the sector, including the controversial Road Maintenance Levy (RML).

Yesterday, Motorists Association of Kenya clarified reports on calling off their planned go-slow, confirming that the action begins today, Friday.

In a statement, Chairperson Peter Murima dismissed claims of meetings with the government.

"Starting tomorrow, we will officially begin our 21-day action plan, with every Friday designated as a go-slow day. After the 21 days of go-slow, we will officially strike nationwide," Murima said.

The association emphasised that those who reportedly met with the government are not members, but individuals with "self-interest."

"As the bona fide stakeholders directly affected by the grievances highlighted, we have not held any discussions with the government. Contrary to reports, we have not been invited to any meetings," he explained.

"The individuals or organisations attending these meetings are self-serving and do not represent our interests."

The transporters called for the Friday strike after the government increased the Road Maintenance Levy (fuel levy) by Sh7, from Sh18 to Sh25 per liter of petrol and diesel. This increase followed the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority's review of fuel prices for the next month from July 15.

"There was no public participation, but on July 14, 2024, we were shocked to see that the maintenance levy had been increased, yet former Transport CS Murkomen had promised there would be no increase," Murima said at a past event.

Transport stakeholders questioned why the tax increase was implemented despite the withdrawal of the Finance Bill 2024.

The Association chairperson urged stakeholders to remain united as they begin their strike and to seek the right channels to address their concerns.

Additional Reporting by James Wanzala.

Share this story
NCBA: Nedbank sale deal on track as profit up 9pc
The tier-one lender said profit after tax rose to Sh6 billion in the three months to March 31, up from Sh5.5 billion a year earlier.
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Kenya’s title deed programme in informal settlements is attracting investors, boosting land value and supporting sustainable urban development.
Why housing has become an economic crisis
The pertinent question at the 13th session of the World Urban Forum has not been if housing is important, but the justification that the global economy is hanging in the balance on its success.
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
Demand for cybersecurity professionals is rising globally, with Africa carrying a significant share of the workforce shortfall.
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
Equity’s regional expansion paid off, becoming the primary engine of earnings.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS