Public market to be built on disputed South B land

Nairobi
By Pkemoi Ng'enoh | Jul 02, 2024

South B MCA Chege Waithera addresses residents protesting against alleged grabbed market expansion. [Samson Wire, Standard]

The Ministry of Lands has now confirmed that a disputed piece of land in South B belongs to the public and a market will be put to serve area residents.

For several months, residents have been holding demonstrations after a private developer last year fenced off the parcel at South B shopping centre.

Lands Cabinet Secretary Alice Wahome has now set the record straight regarding ownership of the land among other similar cases.

"One of the land is the one at South B shopping centre which had been grabbed but we are now planning to set up a market since the problem has been sorted from our end," she said.

The CS made the remarks during her visit to Nairobi South in company of area Member of County Assembly Waithera Chege and other leaders.

Wahome said the market once completed, will accommodate about 2,000 traders who have been operating on roadsides in South B adding that grabbers eye open spaces that were left by the government for future expansions.

Waithera complained that there are many cases of grabbed land in South B, and that the culprits are wealthy individuals who use shortcuts to edge out members of the public.

The MCA claimed the land where the market will be built had been grabbed by a sitting MP forcing her to present a petition in the Assembly on behalf of the residents.

"The petition was approved by the assembly, which established that the land belongs to the public," she said.

Share this story
Iten town set to win more athletes hearts as it hosts its own marathon
Legendary athletes will be among enthusiasts cheering stars in the fourth Iten International Marathon today.
USIU-A pile more misery on struggling Strathmore Gladiators
Brian Ogenche had a successful day out bagging a brace for Mashujaa, who are determined to bag this season’s gong.
Menengai Oilers fry Impala to pick biggest Kenya Cup victory
Kenya Sevens forward John Okoth and eighth man Samwel Were each scored a hat-trick as Menengai Oilers humiliated Impala 97-6
It's another moment for man and machine to battle in Safari Classic Rally
12 Kenyans to participate in the upcoming nine-day East African event. Competition which revs off on Friday has attracted 60 drivers from 75 nations.
Champs Police, Homeboyz aim for top spot as Gor not in action
Gor, Ingwe will not be in action as Mashemeji Derby moved to December 7. Police and Homeboyz are two points behind leaders Gor Mahia.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS