Results of 1,180 candidates cancelled over irregularities

National
By Ronald Kipruto | Jan 09, 2026

Education CS Dr Julius Ogambo (left) and PS Professor Julius Bitok at AIC Chebisas Boys in Eldoret Uasin Gishu Country during the release of KCSE 2025 results on December 9, 2026. Peter Ochieng, Standards [Peter Ochieng, Standard]

The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) has cancelled the results of 1,180 candidates who sat the 2025 KCSE due to examination irregularities.

Speaking on Friday, January 9, during the release of the KCSE results in Eldoret, Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba warned that action would be taken against anyone found liable.

“At the conclusion of the KCSE examination, 1,180 candidates were found to have engaged in examination irregularities. In line with the applicable law and regulations, their results have been cancelled,” Ogamba said.

He added that investigations are ongoing into 22 reported cases of exam malpractice from November last year, and action will be taken once the investigations are complete.

In comparison, some eight hundred and forty (840) candidates had their KCSE results cancelled in 2024 for involvement in malpractice.

This year’s exams also saw an increase in top performers, with 1,932 candidates attaining a mean grade of A, up from 1,693 in 2024.

Female candidates slightly outnumbered male candidates, with 501,214 girls (50.46 percent) compared to 492,012 boys (49.54 percent).

 

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS