MPs seek statement over increased violence in public meetings

National
By Irene Githinji | Aug 20, 2026

MPs sound alarm over rising political goonism ahead of 2027 polls. [Courtesy]

Members of the National Assembly are concerned over the growing use of organised groups to disrupt political rallies, funerals and other lawful public gatherings.

Coming against the backdrop of violence witnessed in Homa Bay last Sunday during the Linda Mwananchi rally, a section of legislators has now warned that political goonism is not only on the rise but also threatening Kenyans’ freedoms and could ultimately have an impact on next year’s elections.

According to the MPs, the emerging pattern is worrying since violence has not only been reported in political rallies but has spilt over to funerals, church meetings and other occasions traditionally regarded as spaces for communities to peacefully gather together.

West Mugirango MP Stephen Mogaka has sought a statement from the Departmental Committee on Administration and Internal Security, saying that there is an alarming rise in political violence and insecurity, particularly in Kisii and Nyamira.

He said that organised groups are increasingly invading public gatherings, disrupting proceedings and intimidating citizens, leaving bereaved families unable to mourn their relatives in dignity and ordinary Kenyans fearful of exercising their constitutional right to peaceful assembly.

“The country has recently experienced an alarming increase in incidences of violence between rival political factions during public gatherings, particularly during funeral ceremonies,” Mogaka said.

The Homa Bay incident added to growing anxiety over the safety of politicians and their supporters as political formations intensify mobilisation activities ahead of the 2027 elections.

He cited several incidents in Kisii, Nyamira and neighbouring areas to illustrate the gravity of the problem.

Mogaka also made reference to recent disruption of a funeral ceremony at Endereti in Bomachoge Borabu Constituency in Kisii followed by another one for his aunt, Mama Jemimah Mokogi, at Nyamira Comprehensive School in West Mugirango.

There was also another incident of disruptions at Rangenyo, where a funeral involving 24 victims of a road accident was reportedly interrupted, as well as the funeral of the wife of Pastor Sammy Ong’ondo at Gianchore.

“These recurring incidents have denied bereaved families the opportunity to mourn in dignity. The mourners are being exposed to fear and possible physical harm,” Mogaka regretted.

He has since called for immediate investigations into these incidents, even as he demanded that the Government explain the measures it is taking to guarantee the safety of Kenyans attending funerals, political meetings and other lawful gatherings.

He told the House that he had reported some of the incidents and urged security agencies to investigate allegations of violence in rallies and bring those responsible to account, noting that this is undermining the constitutional rights to security, peaceful assembly and freedom of association.

Similar concerns were raised in Kisii, where a Linda Mwananchi convoy was attacked at Keumbu last month, after suspected hired goons allegedly pelted the motorcade with stones and sticks.

Several political rallies by Democracy for Citizens Party (DCP) leader Rigathi Gachagua and his allies have also witnessed violence, with the most recent case being reported in Nakuru.

Gachagua has consistently raised concerns over alleged threats against him, including claims that organised groups had been mobilised to disrupt his activities, even in churches.

Saku MP Ali Raso, who is the vice chairperson of the National Assembly Departmental Committee on Administration and Internal Security, agreed with the gravity of the issues that his counterpart raised and said that the committee would summon the relevant authorities to provide answers.

He raised concern that political goonism cannot be ignored, saying that reports of disruptions have been raised in meetings.

“What has been presented to the House is loud and clear. The committee will engage the Interior Ministry and other relevant security agencies and seek to respond to the issues raised within two weeks. The issue of goons and disturbance in meetings, weddings and burials is getting pitched every day, and most of it is politically instigated,” he said.

The Saku MP said the issue required a coordinated response from security agencies and political leaders, rather than simply blaming the police whenever violence occurred.

The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) has since demanded that the police thoroughly investigate the chaos witnessed in Homa Bay before and warned against dragging innocent people into the chaos.

This came amid the growing back and forth from different quarters on what led to the violence reported during the Linda Mwananchi rally on Sunday.

Although ODM chairperson and Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga and Homa Town MP Peter Kaluma are among those whose names have prominently featured for allegedly planning the chaos, the two leaders have denied the claims and instead placed blame on the Linda Mwananchi leaders.

Homa Bay Town MP, Peter Kaluma, flanked by several ODM counterparts yesterday squarely blamed it on Linda Mwananchi and demanded the arrest of Siaya Governor James Orengo, Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna, Babu Owino (Embakasi East) and Caroli Omondi (Suba North).

“We ask the security apparatus to arrest and prosecute Orengo, Sifuna, Caroli and Babu for planning, killing and maiming our people under the guise of the August 16 rally and the gangs used to harm our people. We demand investigations and action by the state security apparatus on the funding and support to the Linda Mwananchi group,” Kaluma demanded.

ODM has also said that accusations made should not be treated as facts before investigators have established what happened, who was responsible and whether there was any organised plan behind the unrest.

The National Police Service (NPS) said on Monday that 37 suspected gang members were arrested and found in possession of various crude weapons, including machetes, ropes, metal rods, knives, rungus, batons and torches.

NPS also said it is pursuing Oliver Jaoko, alias "Olivetti," who is currently at large, and directed him to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations.

Amnesty International-Kenya has also urged the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC), NPS and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) to investigate and, where appropriate, prosecute any individuals, including political leaders, alleged to have incited violence, hate, or attacks against political opponents, journalists, or members of the public.

Amnesty’s Executive Director, George Morara, said authorities must demonstrate an unwavering commitment to protecting constitutional freedoms, safeguarding media independence, and ensuring equal protection under the law as Kenya approaches the 2027 General Elections.

“Impunity for violence and political intimidation has no place in a democratic society. The authorities must act decisively to ensure accountability for all violations. They must uphold the rights and freedoms of every person in Homa Bay and across the country,” Morara said.

NCIC has since summoned several individuals, including Gachagua, Busia Governor Paul Otuoma and Kaluma, to appear before the Commission over utterances made at various public forums on different dates.

Kaluma, however, did not attend the summons yesterday, saying that he would be engaged in unavoidable State duties and asked the Commission to reschedule to a later date.

“Do note that both the transcription and translation of the utterances attributed to me are erroneous. Kindly provide the correct transcription and translation and revert herewith for my response,” Kaluma said.

Share this story
Mazda CX-5: Pretty face, questionable character?
Mazda CX-5 comes in three engine sizes – the 2,000 CC petrol, 2,200cc diesel, and 2,500cc petrol engine.
Government fails to stop Sh147.77 market construction case
The government has failed in its bid to stop a Sh147.77 million case over the construction of Economic Stimulus Programme (ESP) Markets within Nakuru County.
New innovation to ease container deposit burden on local importers
Kenyan importers are set to gain greater access to container-related financing following a partnership between AP Moller-Maersk and Viaservice-Ke
Ruto's appetite for debt shows no signs of slowing
Since he took over in October 2022, President William Ruto has already surpassed the Sh13 trillion mark amid pressure to shift from deficit and borrowing-anchored budget making.
Small-scale traders halt cargo clearance over rising levies
Small-scale importers and micro-entrepreneurs have announced an immediate boycott of cargo clearance to protest higher taxes
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS