Police ordered to evict goons from War Memorial Hospital

Rift Valley
By Julius Chepkwony | Feb 06, 2024

Nakuru County askaris preventing some youth from forcefully entering War Memorial Hospital w on February 1, 2024. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

Nakuru County Police Commander Samuel Ndanyi has been ordered to evict goons who occupied Nakuru War Memorial Hospital last week.

Environment and Lands Court judge Anthony Ombwayo issued the orders after the hospital, through its lawyers Lawrence Karanja and Chomba Kamau, made an oral application to have the police ordered to remove the armed group.

On Thursday last week, an armed group of persons invaded the hospital immediately it was handed over to the staff and taken over contrary to the order by the court.

The County Government of Nakuru and the Attorney General have, however, distanced themselves from the armed group.

War Memorial said they have been seeking assistance from the police but none is forthcoming.

The judge said the National Police Service has to maintain law and order and protect life and property. The police, he noted, are required to apprehend offenders.

"The invasion by the armed group defeats the order of the court and is an affront to the rule of law. The plaintiff (War Memorial) has approached the police for assistance, but none is forthcoming.
Concerning that the police have to assist in such cases, I do hereby, order that the

County Commander visits the hospital within 24 hours of the service and remove the armed group," directed the court.

The judge further directed that the police offer security and prevent the hospital from further invasion by armed groups.

Earlier in the morning, the hospital Directors and three land officials were charged afresh.

The directors, Simon Mwangi and Roger Joslyn, and lands officials, Kipkemboi Marindich, Peter Nzuki, and Stephen Kihenjo had appeared in court for mention of their case.

The prosecution, however, informed the court that the charge sheet had been amended and additional charges preferred.

The prosecution noted that the previous charge had errors.

Share this story
New season, same madness: Kenyan fans deliver unfiltered verdicts for the Premier League
In Nairobi, Arsenal faithful are radiating the unshakeable posture of reigning champions. Arteta is now the longest-serving manager in the top flight, a great example of how much of the Gunners’
The men with the whistle: Who are the Premier League referees now, who has left?
For years, Premier League refereeing had its own cast of familiar faces. Mike Dean, Martin Atkinson, Jonathan Moss, Kevin Friend, Andre Marriner, Lee Mason and most recently, Anthony Taylor.
African players to watch in the 202627 English Premier League
Salah has left Liverpool. Several of the continent's established stars have moved on, while a new generation is arriving with something to prove.
Mombasa centre of golf attraction this weekend
Over 300 players are expected to light up Mombasa when they split for a double-header challenge at Nyali Golf & Country Club and Seafront Mombasa Golf Club.
Players caught in match-fixing risk jail, Sh1 million fine
Persons engaged in match-fixing or manipulation of sporting competitions in the country now face tough penalties ranging from a lifetime ban from sporting competitions or jail time.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS