Charles Nyaberi: The only place that I'll go to is Paris

Volleyball and Handball
By Ben Ahenda | May 17, 2024
Kenya Volleyball Federation president Charles Nyaberi. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Embattled Kenya Volleyball Federation President Charles Nyaberi said he will not step down as team manager of Malkia Strikers.

Instead, he plans to guided the team to several international matches ahead of the Paris Olympics.

Nyaberi said the technical bench of the Paris-bound team was appointed by the federation's executive committee.

"I'm an appointee of the federation just like others who had been appointed in the past and it's the executive council of the national federation that has a right to do so," he said.

He added that they applied fairness while appointing the technical bench officials and called on assistant coach Paul Bitok to stay put as they look forward on achieving positive results for the team.

"When Bitok was struggling with the team in the qualification matches, why were these pressures not arising then? We must learn to appreciate the efforts and achievements of each coach in one way or the other," he added.

"We must allow continuity to Paris Olympics after the qualification stages by allowing the same coaches to manage the team," he said.

He said all federations appoint their officials in such trips and wondered why the main focus was on them.

On partnership with the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB), he said the federation was re-negotiating new terms with the international body.

"After the lapse of the last contract with FIVB, we're in negotiations to come up with new terms on composition of officials," he said.

Share this story
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS