Death toll in Tanzania building collapse hits 29
Africa
By
AFP
| Nov 27, 2024
Tanzania's government on Tuesday raised the death toll from the collapse of a building in the Tanzanian commercial capital Dar es Salaam to 29.
The November 16 disaster in one of the fastest-growing cities in the world prompted President Samia Suluhu Hassan to vow to improve building safety standards.
After a toll of 20 victims given by Hassan last week, Tanzanian chief government spokesperson Tobias Makoba told reporters that the clean-up operation at the site had ended after rescuers managed to remove all the debris.
READ MORE
Trump tariffs threaten Kenya's Sh72b exports
Jubilee posts record Sh6b profit as gross premiums jump 34pc
Portland cement issues Sh48m dividend to Treasury, NSSF
IM bank eyes MSME's in quest for Western's market
Kenyan businesses brace for US tariffs impact
New Levies raise a storm at Mombasa Port
Key details on Trump's market-shaking tariffs
Trump imposes 10pc tariffs on Kenyan goods
Lack of written tenant-landlord agreements hampers tax collection
"The number of deaths increased to 29 after more bodies were recovered," Makoba said, adding that "three of the bodies are undergoing DNA testing to identify them".
Two more were still in hospital with their injuries, he added.
With a population of five million, Dar es Salaam is experiencing a frenetic property boom, with buildings springing up quickly and often in defiance of regulations.
The building in Kariakoo, the East African country's busiest market, crumbled while people were shopping.
Following the accident, the government announced the creation of a commission to inspect all the buildings in Kariakoo's bustling commercial district.
Hassan promised the report would be made public.
In 2013, the collapse of a 16-storey building killed 34 people.