Cholera kills 15 in western Ethiopia: health official
Africa
By
AFP
| Feb 21, 2025
A cholera outbreak in western Ethiopia has killed 15 people and struck more than 200 people this month, a regional health official said Friday, appealing for more medicine.
Several regions of Ethiopia and other African countries have been fighting cholera outbreaks in recent weeks, including Sudan and Angola.
"Fifteen people have died, and we have 234 cases since the beginning of February," Nigiw Gillo, an emergencies manager in the Gambella region health bureau, told AFP.
"The situation is not yet under control and we don't have enough medication currently, and we are asking our partners to provide."
Cholera causes severe diarrhoea, vomiting and muscle cramps, and is generally contracted by eating or drinking food or water that is contaminated with the bacterium, according to the World Health Organization.
READ MORE
Business confidence falls to 10-year low despite private sector growth
Tribunal upholds Chinese firm's Sh340m tax bill
Hong Ting forum held in Kenya to advance China-Africa modernisation drive
Kakuzi targets US market for avocado exports
NSE: Is it becoming a formal 'casino' with the speculative trading?
Trump tariffs threaten Kenya's Sh72b exports
Keeping E coli disease at by in laying flocks
Jubilee posts record Sh6b profit as gross premiums jump 34pc
It said the number of reported cholera cases rose by 13 percent in 2023 from a year earlier, with deaths from the disease surging by more than 70 percent.
Cholera killed 4,000 people in 2024, despite being "preventable and easily treatable," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said last year.