Shocker for Kuppet officials as employer fails to deduct union dues
Education
By
Lewis Nyaundi
| Aug 30, 2024
Teachers on Thursday received the Sh13 billion salary increment with a major shocker for the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (Kuppet) which has been the face of the nationwide teachers' strike.
Yesterday, Kuppet made last-ditch efforts to seek an audience with the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) as details emerged that the employer failed to deduct dues from union members.
Sources in the union told The Standard that this development shook Kuppet as it mirrored the script that brought down Kenya National Union of Teachers (Knut) leadership in 2019.
A letter by Kuppet Secretary General Akello Misori to the employer requested for dialogue over the strike.
“In light of the fast-moving dynamic of the strike, in particular the proceedings instituted in court by the commission, we would wish to handle the matters with you to avoid any protracted battles,” the letter reads.
READ MORE
Sudan tea export ban threatens nascent value addition hub in Mombasa
Practitioners bear burden of restoring trust in property sector
IM Bank opens new branch in Bungoma
Kenyan coffee prices surge as NCE records Sh19.3billion in sales
Coffee factories earn Sh19.3 billion from 375,843 bags at NCE
The Ghibli revolution: How AI anime is redefining digital images
AI coming for anime but Ghibli's Miyazaki irreplaceable, son says
Stock markets mixed as uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
PS calls for empowerment of women in procurement and supply chain
TSC, however, declined the request insisting the union call off the strike as ordered by the courts.
“In compliance with the terms of the Court Order dated August 27, 2024, and duly served upon yourselves, it is the Commission’s position that the union complies with the order of the court and withdraws the ongoing industrial action to enable parties to continue with the bipartite negotiations on any unresolved grievance,” the TSC said in the statement.
Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (KUPPET) Secretary-General Akelo Misori speaking at a press briefing says TSC called the union for a meeting on August 29, 2024. [Wilberforce Okwiri, Standard]
The commission told Kuppet that it had fully implemented the final phase of the 2021-2025 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and had paid all teachers salary arrears dating back to July 1, 2024.
TSC also said it had addressed all grievances raised by Kuppet in its letter dated August 19.
Yesterday, Misori insisted the strike was on. He accused TSC of using dirty tricks to intimidate teachers and that they would not call off the strike until they secured a return to work formula.
He, however, noted they were yet to establish if the TSC had failed to remit union dues.
“If they have decided to deny us our union dues, members will have to look for a way to support their union, the teachers have to decide whether they want a strong union or otherwise,” Misori said at a press conference.
He also indicated that they will be moving to court to seek advisory on the court order halting the strike and also challenge the employer should they fail to remit the dues.
Insiders told The Standard that Kuppet had not received union dues for the next month as mentioned the court case is scheduled for September 5. And with the likely prolonged court battle, the union may not receive dues for months until the case is determined.
This strategy was employed previously against Knut leading to internal dispute and the removal of top officials.
Observers believe that by limiting the financial resources available to the union, TSC hopes to undermine their ability to sustain the strike and negotiate effectively.