Kenya confirms three new Mpox cases
Health & Science
By
Sharon Wanga
| Feb 14, 2025
The Ministry of Health has confirmed three new Mpox cases in Busia County, bringing the total number to 42 since the outbreak in July 2024.
Health Principal Secretary Mary Muthoni said the cases have been reported across 12 counties; Nakuru (10), Mombasa (8), Busia (4), Nairobi (2), Kajiado (2), Bungoma (2), Taita Taveta (2), Kericho (2), Makueni (2), Kilifi (2), Kiambu (1), and Uasin Gishu (1).
So far, two hundred and seventy-one people have been traced, with 246 monitored for the recommended period. Of those tested, nine have been confirmed positive, while sixteen remain under observation.
The Ministry has also warned of a high risk of importing the Marburg and Ebola viruses from Tanzania and Sudan.
Tanzania declared a Marburg outbreak on January 20, while Uganda reported an Ebola outbreak on January 30.
READ MORE
Portland cement issues Sh48m dividend to Treasury, NSSF
IM bank eyes MSME's in quest for Western's market
Kenyan businesses brace for US tariffs impact
New Levies raise a storm at Mombasa Port
Key details on Trump's market-shaking tariffs
Trump imposes 10pc tariffs on Kenyan goods
Lack of written tenant-landlord agreements hampers tax collection
New architects lobby president spells out agenda
Edible oil processors rekindle push to scrap import duty tax
Geothermal still tops Kenya's energy mix despite output decline
“The outbreaks in Uganda and Tanzania remain active. Kenya is at high risk of importing MVD from Tanzania and SEBV from Uganda due to high population mobility and cross-border interactions within the East Africa region,” the PS said.
Surveillance has also been heightened at major border points to curb the spread of the diseases.