Ruto promises to end abductions
National
By
AFP
| Dec 28, 2024
Kenya's President William Ruto speaks on the sidelines of the 79th Session of the United Nations General Assembly at the Lotte Palace Hotel in New York in September 2024. [AFP]
Kenyan President William Ruto has promised an end to abductions, following the latest spate of disappearances that have been condemned by rights groups, lawyers, and politicians.
Security forces in the East African nation have been accused of carrying out dozens of illegal detentions since youth-led anti-government demonstrations in June and July.
The latest disappearances have primarily involved young men who have criticised Ruto online, with rights groups dismissing police denials of involvement and calling for action.
Speaking to a crowd Friday in Homa Bay, a town in western Kenya, Ruto promised an end to the abductions but also told parents to "take responsibility" for their children.
READ MORE
Trump tariffs threaten Kenya's Sh72b exports
Jubilee posts record Sh6b profit as gross premiums jump 34pc
Portland cement issues Sh48m dividend to Treasury, NSSF
IM bank eyes MSME's in quest for Western's market
Kenyan businesses brace for US tariffs impact
New Levies raise a storm at Mombasa Port
Key details on Trump's market-shaking tariffs
Trump imposes 10pc tariffs on Kenyan goods
Lack of written tenant-landlord agreements hampers tax collection
"We are going to stop the abductions so that our youth can live peacefully," he said, according to local media reports.
Ruto had addressed the issue in his annual state of the nation speech in November, condemning "any excessive or extrajudicial" action.
But he also said many detentions were legitimate arrests against "criminals and subversive elements".
Anger has continued to grow in the country, with the latest abductions sparking small-scale protests in at least one town.
Police have denied involvement but activists have questioned why they appear not to be investigating the disappearances.
"If indeed the police are not complicit," the Law Society of Kenya said, they must immediately "investigate and prosecute those responsible".
Human Rights Watch said earlier this year that its research pointed towards a unit drawn from multiple security agencies.
Ruto's remarks follow recent comments by former deputy president Rigathi Gachagua, who alleged a secret unit was behind the disappearances.
"Abducting these children and killing them is not a solution... This is the first administration in the history of this country to target children for repression," Gachagua claimed.