How State plans to address funding gaps after US withdrawal from WHO
National
By
Stephanie Wangari
| Jan 22, 2025
The Ministry of Health says it will engage and partner with other countries to address funding gaps following the United States' decision to withdraw from the World Health Organization (WHO).
Speaking during a press briefing on Wednesday, January 22, Health Director- General Patrick Amoth detailed plans to collaborate with neighboring countries to strengthen regional health infrastructure and improve disease surveillance.
The ministry is also pursuing partnerships with non-U.S. donors, including the European Union, the Gates Foundation, and China, to support Kenya's health systems.
Amoth said Kenya will also mobilize local resources to sustain critical health programs, such as polio eradication, HIV/AIDS prevention, and maternal health, which previously relied heavily on U.S. donor support.
READ MORE
Sudan tea export ban threatens nascent value addition hub in Mombasa
Practitioners bear burden of restoring trust in property sector
IM Bank opens new branch in Bungoma
Kenyan coffee prices surge as NCE records Sh19.3billion in sales
Coffee factories earn Sh19.3 billion from 375,843 bags at NCE
The Ghibli revolution: How AI anime is redefining digital images
AI coming for anime but Ghibli's Miyazaki irreplaceable, son says
Stock markets mixed as uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
PS calls for empowerment of women in procurement and supply chain
"WHO provides essential expertise, training, and funding for Kenya’s health system. The U.S. withdrawal could slow progress on Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and jeopardize programs like COVAX, limiting access to affordable vaccines," he stated.
The U.S., formerly WHO’s largest donor, had played a key role in funding global health initiatives.
However, President Donald Trump signed an executive order on his first day in office to withdraw the country from WHO, citing disparities in funding contributions compared to China.
Vaccine shortage
The Health DG further urged parents of children who missed their BCG vaccinations to visit clinics for the jab.
He assured the public that vaccine distribution is ongoing and that the situation is expected to improve within two weeks.
According to Amoth, BCG vaccines were received at the Ministry’s Kitengela stores yesterday, and distribution is underway in Nairobi, Kisumu, Kakamega, Meru, Nyeri, and Garissa.