Reprieve for Stephen Munyakho's family as release from hangman secured
National
By
Ronald Kipruto
| Mar 28, 2025
Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims National Chair Al-Hajj Ole Naado during a media briefing on Stephen Munyakho’s case in Saudi Arabia. [Benard Orwongo, Standard]
The family of Stephen Munyakho, a Kenyan detained in Saudi Arabia on murder charges, can now breathe a sigh of relief after Sh150 million in blood money has been paid to secure his release.
Munyakho, who worked as a warehouse manager, was sentenced to death by sword following a 2011 altercation with a Yemeni colleague who later succumbed to his injuries.
The chairperson of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims (SUPKEM) Hassan Ole Naado, a member of the Muslim World League, confirmed that Munyakho’s release is underway after successful negotiations between officials from both countries.
Naado also stated that the victim's family has received the payment.
READ MORE
Sudan tea export ban threatens nascent value addition hub in Mombasa
Practitioners bear burden of restoring trust in property sector
IM Bank opens new branch in Bungoma
Kenyan coffee prices surge as NCE records Sh19.3billion in sales
Coffee factories earn Sh19.3 billion from 375,843 bags at NCE
The Ghibli revolution: How AI anime is redefining digital images
AI coming for anime but Ghibli's Miyazaki irreplaceable, son says
Stock markets mixed as uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
PS calls for empowerment of women in procurement and supply chain
‘’As we speak today, I have been reliably informed that the victim's family has received the money and it is now in the hands of the authorities of the government of Saudi Arabia to process Steve for release.”
‘’The administrative procedures in Saudi Arabia are now underway to process Steve for release and, once those are done, our brother will, by the Grace of Allah, be set free to come back home,” said Naado on Friday.
The Supkem chair expressed gratitude to the Saudi government for its role in the negotiations.
Munyakho, who was scheduled for execution last year May, was granted a reprieve after Kenya’s Foreign Affairs Ministry intervened, initiating further discussions involving diplomats and religious leaders.
Naado’s remarks came days after UDA Party Secretary-General Hassan Omar announced, during a state Iftar dinner hosted by President William Ruto at State House, Nairobi, that the negotiations had succeeded.
Omar credited Muhammad Al-Issa, the Saudi religious leader and Secretary General of the Muslim World League, for his involvement in the talks.
Both Omar and Naado urged Kenyans living abroad to respect the laws of their host countries. “I would like to appeal to Kenyans to be law-abiding citizens when in foreign countries as what will happen to you there will be solely on you,” said Naado.