Kalonzo slams Haiti mission as IG Kanja vows to find missing officer
National
By
Emmanuel Kipchumba and Victor Nzuma
| Mar 31, 2025
Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has criticised the deployment of Kenyan police officers to Haiti under the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission, terming it unlawful.
Speaking at a funeral in Machakos, Kalonzo claimed that the mission, which has so far resulted in the death of one officer while another remains missing, contravenes the United Nations Security Council’s mandate. “It is the responsibility of the UN Security Council to ensure international peace and security, but the deployment was a bilateral arrangement between Kenya and United States of America under the regime of President Joe Biden,” he said.
However, speaking separately, Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja affirmed that the search for the missing officer was ongoing.
Addressing Eid celebrations in Eastleigh, Nairobi, on Sunday, where he joined the Muslim community in prayer, Kanja described the Haiti mission as a success. “Our officers in Haiti are doing a good job. When they arrived, the roads were impassable, the airport was closed, and even hospitals were not operating. That is now in the past, and normalcy is returning,” Kanja said.
READ MORE
Tribunal upholds Chinese firm's Sh340m tax bill
Hong Ting forum held in Kenya to advance China-Africa modernisation drive
Kakuzi targets US market for avocado exports
NSE: Is it becoming a formal 'casino' with the speculative trading?
Trump tariffs threaten Kenya's Sh72b exports
Keeping E coli disease at by in laying flocks
Jubilee posts record Sh6b profit as gross premiums jump 34pc
Portland cement issues Sh48m dividend to Treasury, NSSF
He acknowledged the challenges facing the MSS mission, particularly the recent attack that led to the disappearance of a Kenyan officer.
“Our search for the missing officer is still ongoing, and we are confident we will find him,” Kanja said.
Police officer Benedict Kabiru, was reported missing last week after an armed gang ambushed security forces assisting in a vehicle recovery operation.
Kanja also addressed concerns over the funding of the mission, dismissing speculation that financial constraints were hindering operations. “There are a lot of countries supporting us, including America, which has not stopped funding the mission. It is all well, and our officers are faring on well,” he said.
During his visit to Eastleigh, Kanja reassured residents of their safety and underscored the importance of community cooperation with law enforcement.
Kamukunji MP Yusuf Hassan reassured Kenyans and visitors that, despite recent travel advisories discouraging foreign nationals from visiting the area, Eastleigh remains safe and peaceful.