Family's agony as son's future is shattered on Russian battlefield
National
By
Julius Chepkwony
| Feb 21, 2026
Jacob and Janet Njehia, during an interview at their Timboroa home, seek answers over their son Kevin’s fate after he went missing in Russia. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]
Jacob Njehia from Timboroa keeps scrolling through photos of his son Kevin.
In one, Kevin stands in uniform at sunset, the fading light casting a glow on his determined face. In another, he walks away, back to the camera.
“It is like he was telling us we would not see him again,” Jacob says.
In 2023, Kevin, 25, told his father he was applying for a scholarship in Russia. A friend in St Petersburg had shared a link, encouraging him to apply, having completed a military contract and now pursuing studies.
READ MORE
Boost for importers, Treasury as shilling holds forex gains
New Nairobi Bill to regulate sale of alcohol
Smartphone brands push upgrades to protect market share
Inside Kenya's battle to wrap up China trade pact
Why dignity should be at the heart of Kenya's digital lending
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
Jacob and Janet Njehia, during an interview at their Timboroa home, seek answers over their son Kevin’s fate after he went missing in Russia. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]
“My son wanted to try. At the time, he didn’t even have the required documents, including a passport,” Jacob recalls.
The scholarship required mandatory military service of six to twelve months. “I asked him to let it go because of the escalating war, but he asked me to release him,” Jacob says.
Kevin applied for a passport and attended an interview at the Russian embassy. He initially failed the Russian language test and seemed to give up. But in late August 2025, two years later, he called with unexpected news: his application had been accepted. He had received an email asking if he was still interested.
Kevin confirmed his interest. Within two weeks, he was informed that his visa and air ticket would be ready. Days later, he sent his father a copy of the visa issued by the Russian government. Shortly after, he received an air ticket for September 8, 2025, departing at 11 am from JKIA to Moscow.
Jacob and Janet Njehia, during an interview at their Timboroa home, seek answers over their son Kevin’s fate after he went missing in Russia. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]
He was instructed to carry 90 US dollars (about Sh11, 700) as pocket money.
Kevin arrived in Moscow on September 9, 2025, and assured his family he had landed safely and cleared all procedures. Six days later, he told his father he had completed paperwork and was being taken to a training camp. “We spoke every day after training. Most of the time, we did video calls. He was jovial,” Jacob remembers.
While in training, Kevin sent Sh120,000 to help offset some of the family’s loans. His father had expected more support in the months ahead.
On October 24, 2025, Kevin sent a message saying he and others were being deployed to the frontline. He said he was attached to the 13th Brigade Tank Battalion.
The following days were tense. Jacob’s calls on October 25, 26, and 27 went unanswered. Eventually, Kevin responded, explaining that there had been a heavy attack along the way, which had disrupted communication. He asked his father not to inform his mother about the dangers he was facing.
On October 28, at 1:51 pm, Kevin sent what would be his final message.
“He told me their journey was successful and that they had been placed on the frontline. He said it might take time before we communicated again. He asked me to keep him in prayers. After that, he went offline completely,” Jacob said.
Jacob and Janet Njehia, during an interview at their Timboroa home, seek answers over their son Kevin’s fate after he went missing in Russia. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]
Before communication ceased, Kevin had told his father that six Kenyans were in his unit. They had formed a WhatsApp group that included their parents, and they communicated regularly. The families hoped contact would resume once the soldiers left the operation zone. Kevin had mentioned they would be on the frontline for two months.
In November, one of the Kenyans in the WhatsApp group posted that their unit had been attacked. One soldier had been killed, while others were missing. “I privately messaged the one who posted and told him I was Kevin’s father. He told me he knew Kevin and that he was okay. My heart settled,” Jacob says.
In early December, Jacob received a message forwarded by Kevin’s Russian friend. Kevin had sent it to him, and the friend passed it along.
“In that message, Kevin said he was not okay. He was pleading to be moved to safety,” Jacob says.
Confused and alarmed, Jacob replied to the friend. The message has never been received to date. The friend, too, went silent.
Last Wednesday, Jacob was informed that Kevin’s unit had been attacked in December, and his son was believed dead. Later, a young man identifying himself as Kevin’s friend confirmed the news.
When asked about retrieving Kevin’s body, the caller said it would be difficult. Jacob has since filed a missing person report with the State Department for Diaspora Affairs, which acknowledged his email and is investigating. The family now waits for confirmation — whether Kevin is dead or alive — and guidance on next steps. Jacob says he has yet to contact the Russian Embassy and does not know the agent who facilitated his son’s recruitment.
Kevin’s mother, Janet Njehia, clings to hope. “Since he left, I have always prayed for him. His father would remind me that Kevin was on the war frontline, not on a football field, and that I should be ready for anything,” she said.