ODM alleges Orengo acted pro bono in fund case, later asked for pay
Politics
By
Esther Nyambura
| May 05, 2026
The Orange Democratic Movement party (ODM) has alleged that Siaya Governor James Orengo acted pro bono in the Political Parties Fund case before later asking for pay, for which it paid Sh40 million in fees.
In a statement, the ODM says records show the matter was formally approved by its National Executive Committee, contrary to claims that Orengo initiated the case on his own.
The party further says Orengo was brought on board as a senior party member with legal expertise under a clear understanding that he would offer services on a pro bono basis.
However, the party alleges that instead of filing the case through his own law firm, Orengo introduced lawyer Julie Soweto’s firm, which ultimately filed the petition, marking what ODM says was a shift from a pro bono arrangement to a contractual legal engagement.
“We need to set the record straight regarding the Political Parties Fund case that the Party successfully litigated. We have noted the claim by Gov. James Orengo that he personally initiated the matter. With respect, that position is not accurate,” read the statement.
READ MORE
KQ sounds profit warning as fuel bill grows 72pc on Iran war
Equity Group halfyear net profit surges to Sh43.8b as StanChart's slides by 17pc
Report: Japan, Thailand and China have the hottest property markets to invest in
Blow as China declines to sign pact on illegal fishing
KTDA warns critics against circulating leaked loan data
More pain at the pump as Epra hikes oil firms' margins by Sh7
How bid to formalise small businesses is doing more harm than good
Family Bank profit soars to ShSh3.7b as Absa ups dividend amid profit dip
The businesses that survive the next decade will be the ones that learned to read risk
Public participation: Bar owners petition House over the Tobacco Bill
“The true position as borne out by the Party’s records, is that Governor Orengo was brought on board as a senior-ranking member with legal expertise specifically to offer legal services on a pro bono basis. That was the clear understanding. However, instead of instituting the proceedings through his own law firm, he conveniently introduced the firm of Ms. Julie Soweto, which ultimately filed the petition. From that point, the character of the engagement shifted from what had been understood as a pro bono undertaking into a contractual legal arrangement.”
Following ODM’s legal victories in the High Court in 2016 and the Court of Appeal in 2018, the party says demands for legal fees were made, resulting in payments amounting to Sh40 million to Soweto’s law firm.
The party claims the demand surprised its leadership at the time, including the late Raila Odinga, who allegedly described Orengo and his team as “mercenaries,” insisting there was a pro bono arrangement.
ODM further alleges that Orengo has personally received payments related to the matter and says documentation exists to support its position.
According to the statement, the party is now involved in an ongoing dispute at the High Court with the Soweto law firm, which it associates with Orengo, over a claim exceeding Sh350 million for legal representation.
The matter comes against the backdrop of heightened internal tensions within ODM over leadership, finances and party direction ahead of the 2027 political cycle.
It also follows earlier exchanges in which Orengo defended his role in the Political Parties Fund case, maintaining that he initiated the litigation that led to ODM’s Sh12 billion claim against the State.
ODM, however, disputes this account, insisting the case was sanctioned by its National Executive Committee and not initiated by Orengo in a personal capacity.