Reprieve as striking EPZ workers resume work
Rift Valley
By
Peterson Githaiga
| Aug 29, 2025
Its a reprieve as striking workers of a textile manufacturing company at the Athi River based Export Processing Zone (EPZ) resume work.
The more than 1,200 workers of the Top New Knitwear Manufacturing company were on a two weeks strike ,after the company changed its ownership without first considering to pay them of their dues.
There have been a push and pull between the new management and the Tailors and textile workers union over the fate of the workers.
There was drama last week as the officers from the union led by the organization's Secretary General, Rev Joel Chebii, stormed the factory and demanded to know when the workers will be paid of they dues.
ALSO READ: Health workers threaten to strike over salary delays, medical cover
READ MORE
Britam's half-year profit dips to Sh2.5b despite revenue growth
Cash-hungry KRA now shifts gears to tax digital taxi drivers
Kenya endorses IGAD's new regional pandemic preparedness project
Karen store launch marks Kenya as China's gateway to Africa
Kenya's inflation rate rises to 4.5 per cent in August
Internal auditors moot bill to give profession legal backing
Spark plugs: The unsung heroes of combustion
Why number of pension schemes has dropped
flynas commences direct Riyadh-Nairobi flights
SMEs, startups driving innovation and CSR to shine at 2025 Pacesetters Awards
A commotion ensued between the officers and the company management who are Chinese investors, after Chebii forcibly entered their office demanding to know why they were not cooperating.
In an interview with the Standard, the Secretary General said originally the company was owned by Madam Candy Ma, all of a sudden it changed hands and in under a new Chinese general Manager Mr Ye Shuman.
He said in a letter dated 6th August 2025, the company wrote to the EPZA informing them to change the ownership but failed to notify the union and the worker, however when workers demanded to know the truth they were allegedly told that Madam Canday Ma, had only gone for a two months leave yet they knew she had already left the company.
READ: Workers threaten 'mother of all strikes' over terms for State jobs
However, following a meeting held yesterday (Thursday) between EPZA Chief Executive Officer, Richard Omelu, , the new company management and the union officials, it was agreed that the manufacturing company commit itself in writing on the continuity of all employees, and that the benefits acquired over the years will not be lost.
The company will also continue to abide by the CBA agreement dated 19th September 2024.
The company will also have to avail to EPZ Authority all the change in ownership documents including the current projected performance documents for further review.
It was also agreed that there will be no victimization of workers from either side and that both parties will adhere to laid down labor laws.
The Secretary general later, addressed the more than 1,200 workers where he requested them to be calm and assured them that their benefits will be paid soon.