Ministry of Education announces extra 3,000 university placements

National
By Gitau Wanyoike | Apr 02, 2025
Cabinet secretary ministry of Education Prof.Julius Migos Ogamba at Mary Hill Girls.[Gitau Wanyoike]

Some 3,000 candidates who attained university entry grade in the last five years, but did not get a chance for admission will be considered in this year’s placement.

Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba said a portal has been opened to allow these candidates who sat examinations between 2020 and last year.

="https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/education/article/2001512427/students-left-in-limbo-as-ruling-stalls-placement-in-universities">Ogamba said that

“The government has extended the application for degree courses through the KUCCPS portal to candidates who sat KCSE from 2020 onwards. We are now offering opportunities to around 305,000 students who did not apply for the course due to various reasons,” Ogamba said.  

He was speaking on Wednesday during a prize-giving day at Mary Hill Girls School.

In the 2024 KCSE exams, 246,391 candidates attained the minimum university entry grade, 45,258 more than in the 2023, which raised concerns on the cutoff point.

Ogamba said all 246,391 students who scored a mean grade of C+ and above are eligible for university placement.

“The government has not re-introduced a cut-off point for admission to university. The minimum admission requirement for the 2024 KCSE cohort remains a mean grade of C+,” Ogamba said.

Ogamba emphasized the government’s dedication to ensuring fair and inclusive higher education opportunities.

“We are steadfast in our commitment to providing quality and relevant education and training through a system that is inclusive, accessible, and equitable. We will continue to work with all stakeholders in that regard,” he said.

It also emerged that the Ministry of Education is racing against time to conduct public participation nationwide in compliance with the court's directives on the new funding model.

This comes just days after the Court of Appeal cleared the way for President William Ruto’s university funding model.

Ogamba revealed that the ministry has been working on a report since October last year, which is now ready and will guide the next steps regarding the funding model.

="https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/education/article/2001512892/varsity-selection-starts-as-agency-opens-portal">"No student will be sent The CS reiterated that the new funding model aims to foster equity and fairness, allowing students from all socio-economic backgrounds to access education without financial hurdles.

The government has been embroiled in a legal battle at the appellate court after a High Court ruling struck down its new funding model, introduced in May 2023, on grounds that it was discriminatory and lacked sufficient public participation.

The Court of Appeal, in its ruling, directed the Attorney General, the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), and the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) to publicize the funding model within 14 days to universities, colleges, and students.

At the same event, Migos announced that schools will soon be classified under a new structure as either triple or double pathway schools, effectively phasing out the current categorization of national, extra-county, county, and sub-county schools.

"This new structure will enable learners to pursue their passions for posterity," he stated.

 Additionally, the CS warned school principals against withholding students’ certificates, emphasizing that it is illegal to retain crucial documents for any reason.

“Ladies and gentlemen, that directive is not arbitrary; it is based on the law—Article 53 of the Constitution and Section 10(1)(b) of the Kenya National Examinations Council Act, 2012—which states that no institution or individual should withhold a student’s certificate,” the CS added.

Auxiliary Bishop Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi who was the main celebrant at the ceremony urged the government to engage in broader consultations before implementing guidelines on the selection of learners for senior schools.

“We appeal to the government to continue consulting widely before implementing guidelines on the selection of learners for senior schools. Additionally, we call for the timely disbursement of capitation funds to basic learning institutions to ensure smooth and effective learning,” he noted.

="https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/health/index.php/national/article/2001509753/anxious-wait-kcse-graduates-in-limbo-over-university-placement">The Ministry of Education< should also prioritize the proper training and equipping of teachers, particularly in senior schools, to enhance the quality of education,” Bishop Kamau said.

Mary Hill Girls' Chief Principal, Grace Macharia, appealed for continued support to the school, which has a student population of over 2,000.

“We are in dire need of a multipurpose hall to cater to the CBC art and sports science pathways.

Additionally, we request the construction of a perimeter fence to enhance the security of our girls,” Mrs. Macharia said.

"With a candidacy of 587 students, our school posted excellent results last year, achieving a mean score of 10.0511, an improvement from the 9.4423 recorded in 2023," she noted.

In the 2024 KCSE results, 80 students scored straight A plains, 181 secured A minuses, 139 attained B pluses, 111 earned B plains, and 37 students managed B minuses. Two students scored C pluses, five had C plains, and only two scored C minuses.

Share this story
Slot 'hates' offside rule that gave Liverpool win over Everton
Liverpool manager Arne Slot said he does not agree with the offside rule that meant Diogo Jota's goal stood to beat Everton 1-0 on Wednesday, but that the right decision was made.
Rwanda's Nsanzuwera emerges top in Sunshine Tour qualifier
Kenya’s John Lejirma finishes second as top lady golfer Joyce Wanjiru punches ticket to the Sunshine Ladies Tour.
Sunshine Tour final: Nsanzuwera best student as curtains come down on Qualifying School
Rwandese hard hitter Celestin Nsanzuwera is the winner of the Sunshine Development Tour (SDT) East Africa Swing Qualifying School.
USA sole bidder for 2031 Women's World Cup, UK set to host in 2035
The United States is the sole bidder for the 2031 Women's World Cup, and the United Kingdom is set to host the 2035 tournament, FIFA president Gianni Infantino announced on Thursday.
Liverpool's Slot happy to let Premier League title bid take its course
Arne Slot says Liverpool are unconcerned by how soon they can win the Premier League title after going 12 points clear again with victory in Wednesday's Merseyside derby.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS