State to use Sh300m to settle flood victims

National
By Antony Gitonga | May 10, 2024
An official arranges the portraits of the Mai Mahiu flood victims during the requiem held at Mogas village in Naivasha. [George Njunge, Standard]

A sombre mood engulfed Mor Gas grounds in Maai Mahiu, Naivasha Sub-county during the memorial service of the victims of the Mai Maahiu floods.

Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua led other leaders during the service where he announced that the government has set aside Sh300 million towards resettling the affected families.

The tragedy claimed at least 61 lives while 51 individuals have not been accounted for. Some 52 others sustained injuries during the tragedy that occurred on April 29.

On Thursday, the State further announced that those who lost their kin will receive a total of Sh7 million towards burial expenses.

Each family that lost a relative will get between Sh150,000 and Sh200,000 towards burial expenses, according to Gachagua.

The memorial service that was held near the scene of the incident was attended by hundreds of mourners.

Gachagua termed the disaster a national tragedy.

He said that the government was seeking land where the 85 households would be resettled in line with President William Ruto's directive.

"The government has set aside Sh300m towards resettling all the victims of the Maai Mahiu tragedy and we shall walk with them through this painful journey," he said.

Gachagua told residents that the government will use KDF officers to rehabilitate damaged roads and water systems in the next couple of weeks.

"I would like to commend local leaders for the support and leadership they have shown during this period and we shall continue to partner in this exercise," he said.

The DP expressed concerns over the rise in the number of persons killed by rains pounding many parts of the country.

He noted that some deaths could be avoided and called on Kenyans to heed the government's directive and keep off riparian land.

"You should avoid fighting nature as has been the case with so many people who have decided to cross flooded sections leading to their deaths," he said.

During the service, tears were shed, hugs exchanged, prayers recited, and tributes given while some mourners fainted as the reality of the incident sunk in.

On Monday last week, a seasonal dam in Old Kijabe burst, releasing millions of litres of water that swept away villages downstream, leaving behind a trail of death and destruction.

KDF and the National Youth Service (NYS) personnel have since joined the search in the 23km flood path where tens of homes, farms and livestock were swept away.

Naivasha MP Jane Kihara called on the government to make sure that all the missing persons were found as the families were going through untold suffering.

She commended the move to resettle the affected families.

Kihara called on the government to rehabilitate the Maai Mahiu-Kijabe road, terming it critical as it was the only way to the Kijabe Mission Hospital.

Gilgil MP Martha Wangari commended the national government's swift response to the floods and urged sustained cooperation to mitigate future disasters.

"We request the government to ensure that some of the equipment that was being used to unblock floods should be left here under the care of NYS," she said.

Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika said that the county had settled all hospital and mortuary bills and resettled over 50 families in rented houses.

She said that the county was working closely with some partners, including Safaricom Foundation in constructing houses for the affected families.

"We need 85 houses at a cost of Sh1.8 million per unit and we are working with some companies which are keen to support us in this venture," Kihika said.

Nakuru Senator Tabitha Karanja condoled with the families.

"Words are not enough but we promise to walk with you in this painful journey after you lost loved ones and property," she said.

Share this story
It's a strong field in the Nairobi City Marathon's history
Kenyan trio of Jonathan Korir, John Langat, and Simon Kipkosgei are among the top athletes who will storm the capital city’s streets for the fifth edition of the Nairobi City Marathon.
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
Aston Villa fans turned out in their thousands on Thursday to celebrate the English side's Europa League final triumph -- their first silverware in 30 years.
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS