India probes Google Maps after three deaths
Asia
By
AFP
| Nov 27, 2024
Google said Tuesday it was assisting Indian authorities probing the deaths of three men who reportedly drove off an incomplete bridge while following a route on Google Maps.
The group was on their way to a wedding in northern India's Uttar Pradesh state when their car plunged into the Ramganga river from the unfinished bridge early Sunday.
The driver followed Google Maps into taking the route, the Hindustan Times newspaper said Tuesday, quoting police officials.
Police questioned an unnamed official from the navigation app, as well as others from the government public works department, the Press Trust of India news agency also reported.
READ MORE
Sudan tea export ban threatens nascent value addition hub in Mombasa
Practitioners bear burden of restoring trust in property sector
IM Bank opens new branch in Bungoma
Kenyan coffee prices surge as NCE records Sh19.3billion in sales
Coffee factories earn Sh19.3 billion from 375,843 bags at NCE
The Ghibli revolution: How AI anime is redefining digital images
AI coming for anime but Ghibli's Miyazaki irreplaceable, son says
Stock markets mixed as uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
PS calls for empowerment of women in procurement and supply chain
"Our deepest sympathies go out to the families. We're working closely with the authorities and providing our support to investigate the issue," a Google spokesperson told AFP in an emailed statement.
A local police officer said that a portion of the bridge had been damaged during a flood last year.
The accident comes a year after two doctors were killed in the southern state of Kerala when their car plunged into the state's Periyar river after they followed the app.