Case against policewoman accused of husband's murder moved to June

Rift Valley
By Lynn Kolongei | Apr 16, 2024
When Constable Lilian Biwott was presented at the Eldoret High Court over the murder of her husband Victor Kipchumba. [Peter Ochieng, Standard]

The hearing of a murder case against a police constable accused of allegedly killing her husband has been adjourned to June.

A key witness who was set to testify in the trial was on Tuesday stood down by the Presiding Judge citing work overload.

Sharon Jepchirchir, the house help of the accused officer Lilian Biwott, had been called to testify against her employer before she was stood down by Justice Reuben Nyakundi.

"I will not proceed with the hearing of this murder case today because I have more than 50 rulings and judgments that I must deliver and therefore the witness in the dock will be stood down until June 4, 2024," directed Justice Nyakundi.

Jepchirchir was among five witnesses who had been lined up by the prosecution to testify in the murder case.

Biwott, 32, is accused of allegedly shooting dead her husband, Victor Kipchumba on the night of October 9, 2023, at their rented house in Kimumu estate along the Eldoret-Iten highway in Uasin Gishu county.

She denied the murder charge and is being held at the Eldoret GK Women's remand.

The court in December last year declined to release the Administration Police officer on bond on grounds that she could interfere with prosecution witnesses.

Although the prosecution did not oppose the bail or bond application, the judge noted that the prosecution failed to respond to affidavits filed by some of the victim's family who are possible witnesses in the case.

He directed that the accused remains in custody as the hearing of her case begins.

"I have denied you bail because I have looked at the law carefully and it provides for the rights of victims which must be protected. I have considered the victim impact statement and a probation report tabled before me and it is not in favour of your release on bond at this time," said Justice Nyakundi.

Share this story
Pereira 'trusts' Forest owner Marinakis despite three sackings this season
Vitor Pereira said he trusts Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis despite becoming the fourth manager of the Premier League side this season.
Mexico prepares for possible drone threats during the World Cup
The Mexican military is preparing to confront the potential threat of unauthorised drones in stadiums used for this summer's football World Cup.
Arteta welcomes Madueke and Saka's competition for places
Arteta believes Arsenal and England "get the benefit" from the friendly rivalry between Bukayo Saka and Noni Madueke as the duo battle to start for both club and country.
Barcelona's Raphinha blasts La Liga refereeing double standards
Barcelona winger Raphinha lashed out at perceived refereeing double standards in La Liga on Tuesday after his side fell to a 2-1 defeat at Girona.
Igor Tudor has 'no time for excuses' at Tottenham
Tottenham's new interim manager Igor Tudor says the club's perilous position in the Premier League is unacceptable as he aims to ward off a relegation battle.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS